RCU provides all-in-one offline management of the reMarkable e-paper tablet(s). Users may:
- Create and restore full backups
- Take screenshots
- Manage notebooks
- Upload templates
- Change wallpaper
- Install third-party software
It ensures the user's data is never out of their control, completely unshacked from reMarkable's proprietary cloud.
RCU will be available soon, and is officially supported under the following operating systems.
- FreeBSD 12.1
- Ubuntu 16.04
- Apple macOS 10.13
- Microsoft Windows 10
- "I want to own my data."
- "I want to support independent free software development."
- "I want the author to have funds to build a libre handwriting recognition engine, and eventually create magic paper in the ideas of Dynabook."
"What about the official app?"
RCU is better than the offical application from reMarkable.
- RCU keeps your data to yourself; reMarkable's software doesn't.
- RCU works in both free and proprietary operating systems; reMarkable's software doesn't.
- RCU has a simple and straight-forward interface; reMarkable's software doesn't.
- RCU is free software: users can see what it's doing and how it works. reMarkable's software doesn't tell users what it's doing or how it works.
"What about eInkPads?"
RCU is better than the application from eInkPads.
- Who is behind eInkPads? Nobody knows because they are opaque. RCU is attached to my personal reputation, so I have skin in the game for making sure it's good.
- RCU is cheaper, has more features, and a straight-forward interface; eInkPads' software doesn't (if you can even make it past their marketing gimmicks).
- RCU is free software: users can see what it's doing and how it works. eInkPads' software doesn't tell users what it's doing or how it works.
RCU is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
This software is sold as-is, without warranty, and all sales are final. However, I do have a personal interest in making sure each customer is satisfied, so please email me for support if you have a problem (details are in the manual).
reMarkable® is a registered tradebark of reMarkable AS. RCU is not affiliated with, or endorsed by, reMarkable AS. The use of "reMarkable" in this work refers to the company’s e-paper tablet product(s).